How to change the default program to open files in Windows 10/11?
As we know, Windows 10/11 permits users to change the default app that will run on a PC/Laptop for categories like Web Browser, Video Player, and Music Player.
Those who don’t know how to change the default program in Windows 10/11, you can refer to the instructions below.
How to Change the Default Program for Opening Files via Settings
Here’s how to change the default program in Windows 10 via settings:
- First, turn on your Windows 10 PC/Laptop.
- Next go to the “Settings“> “Apps“> “Default apps” section
- Another quick way you can also type “default apps” in the search field in the Windows 10 Start Menu.
- Select “Default apps“.
- Then in the Default apps section, you just have to choose one of the browsers you want to use.
- For example, in the Web browser section you can change your favorite default browser program.
- From the default Microsoft Edge program to Google Chrome.
How to Change Program Defaults for ‘Open With’ in Windows 10
Here’s how to change the default program in Windows 10 via the context menu:
For example, here, for those of you who want to open images with the default Adobe Photoshop program or other application programs.
- You can also change the default program in Windows 10 by right-clicking one of the image files with the .jpg or .png extension.
- Next you select the Open with menu> then select Choose another app.
- Then a menu window will appear How do you want to open this file?
- After that, to change the default program that is run on the file, you can choose Adobe Photoshop as an example.
- Then check the Always use this app to open files section.
- If so, select OK.
How to Change the Default Program for Opening Files via Properties
Another way you can also change the default program via Properties.
- By right-clicking on one of the files, then on the context menu> select Properties.
- After that you just select the Change button.
- Later a menu window will appear How do you want to open this file? like the method above.
How to Restore ‘Open With’ to Default in Windows 10
Here’s how to restore the default open with program to the original in Windows 10:
- The way you can go back to the settings > Apps > Default apps section menu.
- After that in the Default apps section, you scroll down select the Reset button.
- Later all programs will be reset or returned to default or default, like the first time you reinstall.
That’s the article on how to change and restore the default Windows 10/10 PC / Laptop program. Hopefully it can help you.